Fehr is expected give Bettman an answer tomorrow after he consults with his membership, though a source close to the NHLPA told TFP they would rather not pause talks.
Two weeks ago, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly and NHLPA Special Counsel Steve Fehr spoke at length both over the phone and in person, setting the same for significant negotiations last week in New York between the two parties.
However, emotions started to run high towards the end of the week, so much so that one League official accused Donald Fehr of not forwarding pieces of information to his membership, and eventually talks came to a halt.
"We are extremely disappointed in where we and the Players find ourselves," Daly told TSN Thursday evening. "And from our perspective, we have made repeated moves in the Players' direction with absolutely no reciprocation.
"Unfortunately, we have determined we are involved with Union leadership that has no genuine interest in reaching an agreement. Regardless of what we propose, or how we suggest to compromise the answer is 'no.' At some point you just have to say 'enough is enough.'"
Late Thursday evening, Steve Fehr released a statement addressing the NHL's request.
"We believe that it is more likely that we will make progress if we meet than if we don't. So we are ready to meet," he said. "If indeed they do not want to meet, it will be at least the third time in the last three months that they have shut down the dialogue, saying they will not meet unless the players meet their preconditions.
"What does that tell you about their interest in resolving this?"
Over 20 per cent of NHL players have signed overseas during the NHL lockout, however a number of them agreed to monthly contracts and several of them have started to return to North America.
Representatives of both the NHL and the NHLPA have told TFP that their goal is to play this season, despite the lack of traction in CBA negotiations.
To date, the NHL has cancelled all regular-season through Nov. 30. If a deal is not reached by next weekend, the NHL could cancel another round of games, one league source told TFP Thursday evening.
"If things continue moving at this pace, the NHL will likely cancel games through Dec. 14," the source said.
The NHL All-Star Game, originally scheduled for Jan. 27 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, could also be cancelled, or postponed, at best.